How to Open Honda Key Fob & Replace the Battery
Each Honda model delivers a wide range of exciting features and handy specs to make life on and off the road easier. One such feature is the trusty Honda key fob. This small device offers keyless access and other safety and convenience features. While the Honda key fob is designed to have your back, eventually, the Honda key fob battery will die out. If this sounds like the situation you’re in, not to worry! In our guide below, our service pros will be addressing the following:
- How to change the battery in a Honda key fob
- How to open the Honda key fob
- How to program the Honda key
While our team is more than happy to take care of this task for you, a battery failure rarely happens at a convenient time. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to teach you how to change the battery in a Honda key fob, so you can take on the task whether you’re running errands in Alpharetta or carting the kids to school in Dawsonville. Learn how to open the Honda key fob and how to program the Honda key below!
What is the Honda Key Battery Type?
Finding the right battery replacement for your Honda key fob is a lot easier than you might think! That’s because the proper battery type for a Honda key fob can be found in stores all around Gainesville. In most cases, the Honda key fob uses a flat circular 3-volt battery. If you’re not comfortable picking this out yourself, we recommend working with our parts team to make sure you have the right components. You can also contact our parts department for a quick consultation while you’re out and about.
How to Open the Honda Key Fob
Learning how to open your Honda Key fob is a quick and easy step in the Honda key fob battery replacement process. Follow these steps to learn how to open your Honda key fob:
- Find the button to release the metal key stored inside the fob. Slide the button open and pull out the key.
- With the edge of the key, carefully place it into the slot at the top of the key fob. Lightly wedge and twist the key until the back of the key fob pops off.
How to Change the Battery in a Honda Key Fob
Once you have the Honda key fob open, be careful not to allow the fob to fall apart. If you attempt to pry the battery out, you may remove other essential components. So, you’ll want to follow these tips to keep your fob intact while replacing the Honda key battery:
- Press and hold your thumb down right above where the battery is located.
- Using your other hand, carefully remove the dead battery and swap it with a new one.
- Line up both sides of the key fob and press the pieces back together. You will hear a snap that indicates both sides are secured.
How to Program Honda Key
After swapping out your dead Honda key fob battery for a fresh one, you’ll want to know how to program your Honda key. Easily learn how to program a Honda key through the following steps:
- Enter the cabin and make sure all the doors are shut. Have your key fobs handy for programming.
- Insert the key and set it to the “On” position. Press and hold the “LOCK” button for one second.
- Release the button and turn the key back to the “Off” position. Repeat these steps two more times.
- Turn the key to the “On” position and hold the “LOCK” button on the key fob for one second. The doors will lock and unlock automatically. Once the door locks have cycled, you’re in remote programming mode.
- Hold “LOCK” again for one second. You’ll know your key fob has been successfully paired once the locks cycle. Repeat this process for any additional key fobs that need programming.
- Exit remote programming mode by setting the key to the “Off” position in the ignition.
Rely On Our Cumming Team for All Things Automotive
Now that you know how to take on Honda key fob battery replacements and programming like a pro, you can keep your key fob in tip-top shape. Whether you need a new key fob battery or a major repair, you can count on Lou Sobh Honda to have your back. You can book an appointment with us if you need maintenance or contact us if you have any questions. Be sure to check out our service coupons for extra savings on your next visit!